Fannaichs Camp

With just the walk-in planned for our first day, we could take it easy and set off in the afternoon to the area of our intended campsite. The track up to Fannaich Lodge and beyond doesn’t climb much, so the walk, even with full packs, of just over three hours was not too arduous and and we setup camp and settled by the lochside to eat and enjoy the last of the light on the hills around us.

Though not bad, the midges were out, but by the lochside there was, at times, a reasonable movement in the air keeping them at bay. Views of the start and end of our walk were viewed from our camp with some hills lying somewhere behind. A big day ahead by the look of things and thankfully the walk in had not taken to much out of us, we even extended our intended walk for the second day by a couple of hills to the east, resulting in a planned clockwise circuit of: Sgurr nan Each; Sgurr nan Clach Geala; Meall a’ Chrasgaidh; Sgurr Mor; Meall Gorm and An Coileachan.




Next day, up early quite easily and with a lovely light about us for breakfast. With less of a breeze, our breakfasts were eaten on the move and with head nets on to lessen the biting midges.



The slight rise up form our camp to the start of our first ascent was being felt more in the legs than expected, but after warming up a bit there was no significant puffing or aching till the ascent of Sgurr Mor after our halfway point.

Rutting deer, coming from at least three locations within the corrie below us, drew our attention constantly once on the ridge, but not a single one could we see moving.

A nice light over Loch Fannaich and on the hills – near and far – early on, especially Slioch off to the west, with its irregular shape, catching light on alternating edges giving the impression of a constantly changing shape.















Arriving at the top of Sgurr Mor, we had our only shower, heavy and wind driven, but not long enough to be worth donning waterproofs for. It soon passed and cleared the air for views extending even further away – hills along Scotland’s north coast now discernible, including Ben Hope and Ben Klibreck.


As usual on a long day, the last leg, downhill, felt the toughest on aching joints and pounded feet, but it wasn’t too long before we were back at base and fed. Chat and whisky was enjoyed before retreat to tents was enforced later on with the first spits of rain, which soon turned to heavy squalls.

We woke to relatively dry tents, thanks due to the winds that followed the last downpour, but all was still by the time we got up and so the midges rose with us. The walk out was pleasant, cloud lifted and sky brightened as we went leading to quite a warm plod back to the car.

A fourth day of intended walking was ditched as the hills were clagged in heavily and these, the westernmost Fannaichs, would be wasted with their views over An Teallach obscured.


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: